In this article we are going to discuss the Michelson Morley Experiment & the null results obtained by the experiment. We study the basis of experiment and its results. Basically this experiment is conducted in order to explain weather ether is present or not. Using his theory of electromagnetism, Maxwell firmly established that light is an electromagnetic wave and travels at a velocity of 3 × 108 m/s. It was believed that this ether represents an absolute reference frame.
Michelson Morley Experiment :
This experiment was conducted to test whether or not the ether was in fact an absolute reference frame. It attempted to measure the speed of light relative to earth.
Basis of Experiment :
Early scientists believe that the ether was fixed relative to the sun. If this was true, then speed of light in orbit (30,000 m/s) around the sun could produce a change in the speed of light in the ether.
The medium between the Sun and the Earth was ether & it was at rest relative to the Sun.
No change in velocity of light was found & this becomes known as Null result.
Hence it also shows that light does not require any medium to travel.
Related Topics :
- Inadequacy of Classical Mechanics : Origin of Quantum Theory
- Reference Frame & Principle of Relativity
Study Tips & Tricks :
- How to Stop Procrastinating : Summary of the Book “Eat That Frog”
- These 5 Tips Can Helps You Study more Effectively & defeat Procrastination
- How to Study for an Exam in One day? ( In 11 points)