A step-by-step College Students Guide to Stock market.
After the release of “Scam 1992 (a web series based on Stock Market scam in India)”, a majority of college students entered the stock market last year.
This trend is continuously growing as people are getting more cautious about saving & investing money.
Everyone wants to earn higher returns on their investment but very few want to get educated & as a result lose more money than they can earn.
Well, In this guide, I am here with a step-by-step guide on how college students can invest in the stock market.
In this guide, you will learn:
- Benefits & Drawbacks of Investing in stock market.
- How to create your own demat & trading account?
- Which broker should you should choose &
- Few investment tips for newbie investors.
Let’s start by knowing how investing in the stock market is best for a college student!
Pros & Cons of Investing in Stock Market
Investing in the stock market is one of the best ways to grow your wealth especially when you are in your 20s.
Investment refers to the purchase of assets with an expectation of growth in future value. There are various investment options like real estate, gold, fixed deposits, insurances, mutual funds, stocks, cryptocurrency, etc.
In this section, we will be talking only about the benefits & the limitations of investing in the stock market.
- The average rate of return in the Stock Market is higher compared to other investment classes like FD, Bank Deposit & Mutual Funds.
- Here you will get Compound Interest, i.e. interest on your interest income.
- It will help you combat inflation & become wealthy.
- Liquidity in the Stock Market is very high which means you can convert your money into cash whenever the market is open.
- It is the best way to buy holding in your favorite company.
- You can earn Dividend Income every year just for holding the share.
- Investing in the stock market is risky, when you don’t know anything about the company & just investing blindly.
- Longer returns on investment.
Anything left that you might know? Let us know in the comments.
College Students Guide to Investing in the Stock Market?
Before we begin, let me tell you some of the prerequisites for investing in the Indian stock market.
- Proof of Identity ( Pan Card / Aadhar Card / Voter ID / Licence / Other ID Card Issued by State or Centre Govt)
- Proof of Income ( ITR Copy / 6 Months Bank Statement / Net Worth Certificate / Salary Slip, for salaried individuals / Copy of Annual Income, etc.) – If you have 0 income, then you can just show a 6 month bank statement.
- Address Proof ( Passport / Aadhar Card / Voter ID / Ration Card / Driving Licence / Bank Passbook / Utility Bills, etc.)
- Bank Account Proof (Cancelled Cheque / Bank Passbook / Account Statement, etc)
- Smartphone / Laptop with good internet connection.
- 10 minutes of your time.
Steps to Start Investing/Trading in Stock Market
Follow the below steps & you are good to go:
Step #1: Open a Demat Account
In order to open a Demat account, you need a broker. Zerodha & Angel Broking are two of the best discount brokers in India.
- Zerodha (₹ 200 Account Opening Charges)
- Angel Broking (Free Account Opening + Free Scratch Card worth up to Rs. 2000 – use referral code 137178HIH)
I personally use Zerodha for buying & selling stocks, because I love its overall user interface.
If you can spend 200 Rs. then go for Zerodha, otherwise, you can go for Angel One.
You can use the above links to create your account with any of the above brokers.
Let me now show you, how to create a Demat account with Zerodha!
#1. Click the below sign-up link & enter your 10 digits mobile number – after which you have to verify it through an OTP.
#2. Follow the below video for the next steps:
In a similar way, you can open your account with Angel Broking. All you have to do is click on the below link & create your free account.
Step #2: Buy & Sell Shares
After creating your Demat account, you will be provided a platform/app by your broker for buying & selling shares. In the case of Zerodha, you can install the Kite app.
Using the app, you can easily buy & sell shares.
In the same way, if you are using Angel One, then you have to use the Angel app (which you have used to create your account).
Note: Make sure to watch Youtube videos on how to Buy/Sell Shares after creating your Demat account using the above tutorial. This will help you avoid losses from the beginning.
This is how you can start investing in stocks!
Here’s how my 1-year-old portfolio is doing:
It’s been less than a year & the overall returns are 34% which is quite good. You too can start building your wealth by investing today.
In this complete guide, I have covered a highly demanding topic, i.e. How college students can invest in the stock market?
Investing in the stock market is risky for those who just put their money on a company based on tips/advice/recommendations, etc. without doing any research.
Creating a Demat account is an easy 5 to 10 minutes process – but finding quality stocks takes a long time. Make sure to learn fundamental & technical analysis before buying any company.
If you don’t want to take any risk, then you can start investing in index funds like NIFTY50 or BSE SENSEX.
Have queries/questions/suggestions, leave a comment or you can contact the author directly on Instagram @itsharishjoshi.
- 5 Best Finance Books College Students Should Read This Year
- 7 SuperEasy Ways to Save Money as a College Student
- 9 Best Ways to Make Money Online (for College Students)
- Top-10 Money Earning Apps in India (No Initial Investment)